The Senior HR Manager (Category 1) will be a full-time consultant in the Reform Support Team at the Ministry of Finance of Ukraine (MoF).
The Reform Support Team (RST) is a group of Ukrainian professionals (not public servants) funded on a temporary basis by donors that provides targeted technical support and assists the Ministry in the design and implementation of sectoral strategies and priority reforms.
Competencies of the RST include the following core capacities:
- Economic and legal analysis (preparation of reform proposals supported by evidence-based analysis, preparation of policy and legal drafts, regulatory impact assessment etc.), and
- Reform program planning, implementation and coordination (including performance indicators, progress reports, program management, monitoring and coordination, preparation of project proposals and other).
The RST was launched in October 2016. The RST is currently helping the Ministry to implement six priority reforms: Development of the Public Finance Management Strategy; Public Administration Reform and Capacity Building in the Ministry of Finance; Tax Reform and Establishment of the New Finance Police Service; Customs Reform; Optimization of Social Security System; and Reform of State-Owned Banks and Improvement of International Financial Cooperation Process.
The Senior HR Manager’s primary focus is to ensure introduction of modern HR business processes and practices to the MoF within the framework of Public Administration Reform and Capacity Building in the Ministry of Finance, Tax Reform, Customs Reform and State-Owned Banks Reform. The Senior HR Manager is responsible for the quality of the acquired staff, high performance, continuous improvement and development of key staff of the MoF. In addition, Senior HR Manager should support the MoF and the Selection Commission in the selection and formation of the state-owned banks’ Supervisory Boards.
Duration and proposed timeframe
Duration of assignment is until 31.12.2019 year with starting date not later than 1 May 2019, including a 2-month probation period.
The Consultant shall deliver services in Ukraine and for no less than working 20 days per calendar month.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Introduction of modern HR business processes and practices to the MoF in line with the law "On civil service" and applicable secondary legislation;
- Active engagement into Public Administration Reform and Capacity Building in the Ministry of Finance, Tax Reform, Customs Reform and State-Owned Banks Reform in developing strategic guidelines and recommendations for HR policies improvement;
- Active engagement in the development of competence profiles and recruitment process of the candidates for key positions to the MoF and the RST;
- Support and administrative (project management support) assistance of the MoF and the Selection Commission in the selection and formation of the state-owned banks’ Supervisory Boards;
- Development of recommendations regarding Ministry decision-making and delegation processes and distribution of responsibilities, ensure clear distribution of responsibilities among units in line with best practices of strategic planning and management (strategic sessions, workshops, soft skills trainings and leadership);
- Ensure typical scope of work is documented for employees (prepare job descriptions and competency profiles for all MoF employees based on MoF objectives and target organizational structure in line with Public Administration Reform strategy);
- Development and implementation of the MoF staff assessment (including people survey) in close cooperation with and under general methodological guidance of the National Agency on Civil Service (NACS). The activities will be in line with the applicable Government and NACS policy and methodological guidelines.;
- Based on the results of the annual performance assessment of the MoF staff and their individual training plans, prepare a consolidated training plan for the Ministry’s staff.
Main anticipated deliverables
- New HR business processes and practices introduced in line with the law "On civil service" and applicable secondary legislation (to the MoF);
- Developed action plan according to the MoF Strategic plan 2018-2021 of the Public Administration Reform and Capacity Building in the Ministry of Finance (HR component);
- Decision-making and delegation system in the MoF improved, MoF HR strategy and action plan developed Ministry’s staff annual assessment for 2019 and 2020 carried out in line with the current methodology and specific tools designed for MoF purposes;
- New guidelines according to best practices of recruitment of the MoF key staff (middle management) developed;
- Support and administrative (project management support) assistance in selection and recruitment of members of independent Supervisory Boards for state-owned banks;
- Consolidated training plan based on strategic priorities and needs for the Ministry’s staff developed and implemented;
- Communication plan for the HR strategy implementation introduced.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
Qualifications and skills:
- Impeccable ethical standards;
- At least a Bachelor degree, preferably in organizational development, HR, economics, finance, management, law, human sciences. Master degree is an asset;
- PC literacy (PowerPoint, Project, Excel, Word; Visio is an asset);
- Fluency in Ukrainian and English.
General professional experience:
Preferably more than 10 years of general professional experience, including minimum 5 years of HR, HR business partner, HR senior manager experience with focus on organizational development.
Specific professional experience:
- Experience and track record in relevant HR functions related to candidate selection (screening, criteria matching, interviewing, recommending);
- General understanding of business and operational processes in public sector;
- Basic understanding of legislation regulating the work of government employees (civil servants);
- Familiarity with the reform agenda in Ukraine is an asset;
- Experience in leading multidisciplinary teams is an asset.
The estimated monthly value of this consultancy position is in the region of EUR 1200 to EUR 1800. The funding source of this assignment is the [EBRD-Ukraine Stabilization and Sustainable Growth Multi-Donor Account / the European Union]. Please note selection and contracting will be subject to the availability of funding.
Submissions must be prepared in English only and be delivered electronically by 24 March 2019 to the following address: email@example.com.
All submissions must include a completed Application Form [download], the candidate’s Curriculum Vitae and Reference Letter from a recent supervisor.
Only applications which have been submitted using the correct template and are completed will be considered.
Following the evaluation of all applications received, selected candidates will be invited to a brief written test covering both general and technical questions in both English and Ukrainian. Only short-listed candidates will be invited to an interview.