Position: Legal Counsel: Maritime Law (Maritime Reform)
1. Objective(s) and linkages to Reforms
A Reform Support Team (RST) at the Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine (MoI) is a group of Ukrainian professionals (non-civil servants) funded on a temporary basis by the donors that provides targeted technical support and assists in the design and implementation of priority reforms. The RST will assist in filling the capacity gaps in the design and implementation of priority reform strategies and programs, while strengthening links and partnerships between the Ministry´s priorities and relevant donor support.
The water transport complex is a multifunctional structure that meets the needs of the national economy in transport. Marine and river ports are an integral part of the state's transport and industrial infrastructure. The competitiveness of the domestic transport system in the world market depends on the efficiency of the functioning of the ports, the level of their technological and technical equipment, the compliance of the management system and the development of the infrastructure with modern international requirements.
A Legal Counsel on Maritime Reform is vitally needed to support the Government of Ukraine and in particular MoI in the fulfillment of the maritime sector reform.
2. Duration and proposed timeframe:
Total duration of current assignment is till December, 2019 (subjected to availability of the donor funding), two-month probation period should apply to the successful candidate.
3. Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Coordination and facilitation of reform implementation process
- supporting the Ministry and relevant SOEs and authorities to address complex legal issues in connection with reform’s targets
- contributing in the National Transport Strategy of Ukraine update and in the maritime reform work group
- participating in the Sub-Committee on Implementation of Instruments (III Sub-Committee) of the International Maritime Organization and other IMO meetings
- assistance in development new port tariffs methodology
- participation in the reorganization of Ukrainian Seaport Administration and establishing the Maritime Administration
- other responsibilities as assigned by the Director and Senior Project Manager on Maritime Reform
- Assistance in preparation of Roadmap for development of the Maritime sector reform in Ukraine
- Participation in the public discussions with the Members of Parliament, Government and private sector experts on reform’s related legislation
- Preparing a number of necessary draft legislation, regulations and policies
- Review of the status, structure and legal aspect of the water transport sector organization and management
- Preparing amendments to the draft law “On Inland Water Transport” in line with best world practices
4. Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in law from the reputable Ukrainian or foreign University
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to interpret complex legal and commercial information
- PC literacy (PowerPoint, Project, Excel, Word, Legal databases Liga or Rada proficient)
- Experience in high-level negotiations, strong communication and presentation skills
- Excellent command of English and Ukrainian, both written and spoken
- Preferably more than 10 years of general professional experience
- At least 5 years of proven managerial experience in leading law firm, public or business administration, consulting
- Prior experience of work in public sector reform is a plus
- Familiarity with the reform agenda in Ukraine
- Experience in leading multidisciplinary teams is an asset
- Experience in infrastructure sector is an asset
- Specific experience in transport sector would be an advantage
The proposed RST Member Gross pay range for Category 3 positions is EUR 400 – 1000. The exact rate will be made by the Recruitment Committee comprised of representatives of the Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine and international donors.
Submissions must be prepared in English and delivered electronically by October 15, 2018 to the following address: email@example.com
All submissions must include:
At least one professional reference letter (from a supervisor / manager);
Only applicants who have submitted the full package of documents will be considered.
7. Selection Procedure
Following the evaluation of all applications received, selected candidates will be invited to a brief written test in Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine (Peremohy ave, 14) covering both general and technical questions in both English and Ukrainian. Short-listed candidates will be invited to interview. The successful candidate will be required to provide a written professional reference (original in English, or Ukrainian with English translation) together with the contact details for two further referees who can attest to the professional and/or educational background of the candidate. Successful reference check will be a pre-condition to contracting