Position: Legal Counsel: Compliance (Road Sector Reform)
1. Objective(s) and linkages to Reforms
A Reform Support Team (RST) at the Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine (MoI) is a group of Ukrainian professionals (non-civil servants) funded on a temporary basis by the donors that provides targeted technical support and assists in the design and implementation of priority reforms. The RST will assist in filling the capacity gaps in the design and implementation of priority reform strategies and programs, while strengthening links and partnerships between the Ministry´s priorities and relevant donor support.
RST is funded by the EBRD managed Ukraine Stabilisation and Sustainable Growth Multi-Donor Account (MDA). The contributors are: Denmark, the European Union, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the United States of America.
A Legal Counsel on Compliance is vitally needed to support the Government of Ukraine and in particular MoI in the fulfillment of the road sector reform.
The Legal Counsel will be responsible for ensuring compliance of activity of the Ministry and agencies under its control with the anti-corruption and anti-bribery laws and regulations, rules and regulations of regulatory agencies.
2. Duration and proposed timeframe:
Total duration of current assignment is till December, 2019 (subjected to availability of the donor funding), two-month probation period should apply to the successful candidate.
3. Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Coordination and facilitation of reform implementation process
- developing the road sector’s reform agenda and work planning
- preparation of drafted transport legislation and its implementation corresponds to the relevant compliance standards
- drafting Compliance Guidelines for the Ministry and SOEs and agencies under its control
- preparation of the Anticorruption program for the Ministry
- cooperation with the Anti-Corruption Deputy Minister and the Ministry’s Anti-Corruption Department in streamlining and aligning compliance approaches and measures
- contributing to the sector conferences and workshops
- assistance to the Ministry in the establishment of the Ministry’s Anti-Corruption Department
- supporting SOEs in implementing compliance systems
- supporting the RST, the Ministry and SOEs in compliance-related investigations and proceedings
- establishing and maintain relationships, cooperation with the governmental anti-corruption, enforcement and crime prevention authorities, investigative departments of the relevant national, regional and local authorities
- Support approval the drafted legislation in the Parliament, assist in implementation of the legislation
- Straightening weight control implementation of pilot project electronic weight control systems and extending the pilot project for all territory of Ukraine
- Organization of due-diligence of the JSC “Automobile Roads of Ukraine” (DAK), support the implementation the reform plan, support preparation for privatization
- AA Directives 7320, 7386- assistance in the approval and implementation
4. Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- At least a bachelor’s degree in law from the reputable Ukrainian or foreign University
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to interpret complex legal, commercial and financial information
- PC literacy (PowerPoint, Project, Excel, Word, Legal databases Liga or Rada proficient)
- Experience in high-level negotiations, strong communication and presentation skills
- Excellent command of English and Ukrainian, both written and spoken
- Preferably more than 10 years of general professional experience
- At least 5 years of proven managerial experience in leading law firm, public or business administration, consulting
- Experience in building up compliance system in at least one organization
- Experience in compliance-related investigations and proceedings, including court, would be an advantage
- Prior experience of work in public sector reform is a plus
- Familiarity with the reform agenda in Ukraine
- Experience in leading multidisciplinary teams is an asset
- Experience in infrastructure sector is an asset
- Specific experience with compliance in transport sector would be an advantage
5. Assignment value
The proposed RST Member Gross pay range for Category 2 positions is EUR 1,100 – 1,400. The exact rate will be made by the Recruitment Committee comprised of representatives of the Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine and international donors.
Submissions must be prepared in English and delivered electronically by October 15, 2018 to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
All submissions must include:
At least one professional reference letter (from a supervisor / manager);
Only applicants who have submitted the full package of documents will be considered.
7. Selection Procedure
Following the evaluation of all applications received, selected candidates will be invited to a brief written test in Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine (Peremohy ave, 14) covering both general and technical questions in both English and Ukrainian. Short-listed candidates will be invited to interview. The successful candidate will be required to provide a written professional reference (original in English, or Ukrainian with English translation) together with the contact details for two further referees who can attest to the professional and/or educational background of the candidate. Successful reference check will be a pre-condition to contracting.